Tuesday, July 25, 2017

sluts and Ice Cream

“SLUT!”
Why is this an insult? If I enjoy ice cream and have found away for people to want to share their ice cream with me often, and I don’t have to pay for it, should I be insulted? I don’t think so. Maybe I should buy a gym membership to be sure I don’t have unwanted side effects. Other than that no one would judge.

Now sluts can be any gender and any orientation (other than asexual, I think). But for much of this im going to use “she” as much of the insult is aimed at females.

“Some slut goes to the bar and brings home randos.”
Maybe the insult has to do with her “being used” by men. But then shouldn't the disdain be directed at the user? Also is she being used? Again the ice cream analogy.
Maybe looking down on the fact shes trading her sex to try and get something like commitment or attention from the “rando”. But for a Slut to be a slut, commitment cant be part of her aims. If shes “giving it up” just for attention, then maybe she deserves our pity not our anger (or our compassion and attention).
Maybe the concern is that she would be unfaithful in her relationships. But it seems odd that our word of condemnation for untrustworthy people would be gendered and focusing only on the multitude of partners. As if cheating with just one person is less of a betrayal than cheating with many people. Also the term “slut” is not reserved for people in supposedly monogamous relationships.
Maybe its that we assume she doesn't like sex, and therefore is degrading her self for some unknown ends.
If she doesn't enjoy the sex then why is she a slut? Also if shes not enjoying it, is it rape?

Or is the focus her bad economics?
I think the Economics argument is close to why “Slut” is an insult. Its that the Insulter has placed a high value on sex, and feels like it should only be traded for a premium. I can see that if I found someone willing to sell me a Tesla for $100, I may consider them a “sucker”. Admittedly I would look down on them a little for not knowing the value of what they had. However I’d assume they had their reasons, and I’d be happy cause then I’d be eating ice cream in a Tesla! But a better parallel would be for a Tesla owner to tell me they would let me drive their car if if I buy us ice cream to eat after.

From what I’ve read (and from a little of my own experiences), The Slut Phase is a healthy way for a person to experience their sexuality. It help a person to be able to acknowledge they enjoy sex, understand and define the sexual part of their identity, and can help a person to feel attractive. It appears its a common part of many peoples lives. And usually doesn't last much past early adulthood. But the gender rolls in our society commend males when they are going through that phase, and condemn females. Some of the readings I’ve done have stated that this may be based on the ideas that a man owns his wife, and a non virgin would be an inferior product for him to own.

Personally I don’t own anyone, and am not owned. I don’t live my life for other peoples approval (anymore). I try to hold off from judging all but acts of wilful harm to other people. In my opinion “Cheater” should carry the loathing and connotations that currently “slut” has. For a cheater is braking the trust of a person they claim to love. While a slut is simply engaging in an enjoyable act and sharing that enjoyment with willing partners.

Any way, why do you think slut is an insult. Should it be?


No comments: