Thursday, June 22, 2017

Trigger Warning "Snowflakes"

Trigger warning; you are not going to like this.

Lets talk about the “snowflakes who require trigger warnings”.

First I’m all for trigger warnings. Not because I am, or I think others are, delicate snowflakes. Quite the opposite. Anyone who knows me knows I am liable to bring up “Taboo topics” at any time. While discussing puppies at a beach, I may interject with a humorous(?) remark about abortion, Religion, Race, or any other thing that crosses my mind. And I don’t think I should be required to wear a t-shirt with “CAUTION, TRIGGER WARNINGS” emblazoned on the front. BUT... And you knew there was a but;
That’s not what trigger warnings are about. Let me explain why trigger warnings are a good idea.

I’ve known people who have suicided. And can clearly recall the emotional and mental state that myself and others were in during the aftermath. So when a coworker of mine was going through a suicide death in her family I made a note not to make comments or jokes around the subject. At least for a while. Because I’m not that kind of an ass-hole. At that point in time my coworker probably didn't have the emotional energy to discuss, dismiss, or otherwise deal with my general lack of couth.

In schools as the profs cant alter their entire curriculum or know the details of all the students lives, maybe a Trigger Warning sign is just the polite thing to do.

But manners be dammed, there is a better reason. I remember being in a class where I was paying over $700 to occupy my seat. I would participate in the discussions because that's a lot of money to me and I wanted to get as much value out of the course as I could.
One such discussion had another student get up and leave the room crying. I don’t remember the rest of the class. As we continued with a tinge of guilt, in slightly hushed tones. The first part of the following lecture in that class was taken up with the prof having to announce some disclaimer. In essence I lost 3 hours of a 40-hr course. About $52.00 of the class I paid for.
Do I think a class about criminal justice should avoid talking about rape? Of course not. But should someone who was raped the night before have to sit through a class discussing rape the next morning? No, I think that he or she should be able to see the “Trigger Warning: Sexual assault discussion”, sign and be able to make the decision to go over the class notes at a later date.

Now I know the argument that there are no trigger warnings in real life.
2 things: First, what makes you think university is not real life. I bet being raped feels pretty real to the astonishing high number of students who are raped on campuses.
Second; In real life, my advice to my coworker was to use any sick or vacation time she had, and go home and grieve. To come back to work once she was able to. Not because she is a “delicate snowflake”, but because she is strong and our team followed her emotional cues.

If you have not had an issue that was so bad that it hijacked your thoughts and interfered with your daily actions, be thankful. Even the strongest of us need down time, and there is no shame in recognizing you cant deal with some things today.
And to all my friends who are thinking, “Sinn, I cant deal with YOUR shit today!”, I reply, “I hope you will call me tomorrow then”. :)




This was going to be one point in a reply to the “Attack on Free Speech” narrative that is going around. But due to its length I think I’ll let it stand as is.  

Also, I so would wear a t-shirt with “CAUTION, TRIGGER WARNINGS” emblazoned on the front. if someone made me one.- XXL if your wondering 

No comments: